8 Industrial Vignettes
8 Industrial Vignettes, River Rouge, 2013-14, Encaustic, oil paint, cement, marine varnish, 8- 6”x6” wood panels, 24” x 13”
In 1915, Henry Ford selected a site on the Rouge River- West of Detroit. By 1927, the "Rouge," as it was called, was the most fully integrated car manufacturing site in the world. (16 million square feet – with 93 buildings.) By 1930’s over 100,000 people were working there. They turned raw materials in to automobiles. They had blast furnaces, an open hearth mill, steel mill, glass plant, a huge power plant and assembly line. Ninety miles of railroad track and miles of conveyor belts connected these facilities.